[Dovecot] vpopmail

C J Kenneth Tan -- OptimaNumerics cjtan at OptimaNumerics.com
Sun Jun 4 21:26:58 EEST 2006

John,

On 2006-06-04 14:12 -0400 John Peacock (jpeacock at rowman.com) wrote:

> C J Kenneth Tan -- OptimaNumerics wrote:
> > I see the argument.  The objective here is to allow relay by Linux
> > laptops running qmail which receive mail from Pine running on the
> > laptops.
>
> Either the laptop should be configured to directly talk to the outgoing SMTP
> server (with SMTP AUTH in place) *OR* the laptop should be configured to send
> all e-mail via qmail on localhost (in which case no authentication is required
> at all).  I don't see any reason to mess around with hacks like POP before SMTP
> here...

The current setup:
- Pine configured to send mail via localhost (qmail)
- qmail on localhost send mail to SMTP server
- SMTP server allow/reject connections based on POP-before-SMTP
- SMTP server performs spam and virus checks

qmail with vpopmail's POP-before-SMTP is actually much less setup work
because it works right out of the box.

Ken