[Dovecot] imaps multiple domains proposal

Magnus Holmgren holmgren at lysator.liu.se
Sun Jun 4 16:50:28 EEST 2006

On Sunday 04 June 2006 15:30, Joao Inacio took the opportunity to write:
> On 6/1/06, Jim Flowers <jflowers at ezo.net> wrote:
> > FWIW, stunnel can be configured to run multiple instances (one per
> > ip/domain) each with its own certificates and services (pop3s, imaps,
> > https, etc.) connected to the appropriate ip:port (pop3, imap, http,
> > etc.).  Very flexible and user friendly as certificates are specific to
> > the domain and users can logon with just username (not
> > username at domain.tld).
> >
> > It also operates chroot but the certs are read at startup.
>
> Sorry do barge in, but wouldn't several domains, each with it's own
> cert, need different ip addresses?

In practice, yes. Or different ports. RFC 3546 and RFC 4366 define
the "server_name" extension to TLS 1.0 and 1.1, respectively, It can be used
to tell the server which certificate to use, but I don't think it's widely
implemented.

Magnus Holmgren        holmgren at lysator.liu.se
                       (No Cc of list mail needed, thanks)