[Dovecot] Platform change, considerations?

grant beattie grant at grunta.com
Fri Jun 2 07:20:48 EEST 2006

On Thu, Jun 01, 2006 at 10:15:44PM +0200, Peter Lindgren wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I am switching hardware platform for my dovecot 1.0beta3 installation.
> From Sun Sparc (SS4) to Intel i386.
> OS platform will only change from OpenBSD 3.7 to 3.9.
> From Dovecot 1.0beta3 to beta8.
>
> Is there anything special to consider, in terms of endianness or other
> incompatibilities?
>
> I plan on a fresh install (compile) on the new machine, migrate the
> settings manually (by hand), test the new server and then migrate old
> mail. Can I just mount the disks and copy, or should I go through NFS to
> be safe from potential endianness problems? Or perhaps copy with IMAP
> using my Thunderbird client?

if you're migrating the mail rather than physically moving the disks
the only consideration I can think of would be any endianness issues
in the Dovecot index files. you can safely delete them and they will
be re-created. it would be worth trying this before you migrate - and
if you discover that there is no need to rebuild the indexes, then
don't bother.

the same may apply if you're moving the disks, but you'd have to check
whether OpenBSD has support for endian-independent access to the
filesystem.

other than that, it should be very straightforward :)

grant.