[Dovecot] Duplicate Attachments....

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Jun 1 16:28:56 EEST 2006

On Thu, 2006-06-01 at 09:18 -0400, Charles Marcus wrote:
> > This is planned for dbox format in maybe a couple of months. I think the
> > plan was to do this in deliver agent so that the delivered mail's
> > attachment is shared between the mail's recipients.
>
> Very good to hear! Were you planning to support this with both dbox
> storage options ('one mail per file' and 'multiple mails per file')?

Well, the dbox format itself is built so that it always supports having
multiple mails in a file. It's just that you can configure it not to put
more than one message into a file. So they aren't separate options
really. :)

But I guess I should prepare for this single storage extension in the
dbox format already now before it becomes more widely used..

> For example - store the attachments individually when they first come
> in, then every night at 3:00am, do a precise comparison on all of the
> attachments that came in that day and delete_duplicate->add_link on all
> duplicates found.

That could be a possibility too. Although that way delivery would use
more disk I/O than really needed for the shared attachments.