[Dovecot] Duplicate Attachments....

Steffen Kaiser skdovecot at smail.inf.fh-bonn-rhein-sieg.de
Thu Jun 1 16:16:17 EEST 2006

On Thu, 1 Jun 2006, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> On Thu, 2006-06-01 at 07:45 -0400, Charles Marcus wrote:
>> Our business model (advertising industry) is such that our users
>> exchange a lot of emails with attachments - most less than a megabyte,
>> but some considerably larger. Consequently, I have been looking for a
>> good, open source imap server that doesn't store multiple copies of the
>> same attachment - but instead, stores a checksum, and whenever a message
>> is stored with a duplicate attachment, the attachment is stored only
>> once, and simply referenced by some kind of link to other emails.

We do this by mangling the mail during the submission, via MIMEDefang from
Roaring Penguin,
http://www.roaringpenguin.com/penguin/open_source_mimedefang.php
action_replace_with_url(). The attachment is then spooled on the host and
accessed with URL (http:). BTW, the filename is the SHA1 of the content

Bye,

--
Steffen Kaiser