[Dovecot] Dovecot-lda/deliver - how to deliver root's mail?

Curtis Maloney cmaloney at cardgate.net
Mon Jan 30 23:54:05 EET 2006

Shayne Hardesty wrote:
>  There's a good chance I could be missing something obvious here, as I
> can't find much documentation on the LDA other than on the wiki, which
> is sparse.  Local mail delivery works for normal users, but when
> attempting to deliver mail for root I get this error:
>
> Jan 30 13:42:50 apollo deliver: Running as root isn't permitted
>
>  Both sendmail and dovecot run as root on my server - since I don't
> allow shell accounts and have multiple layers of security around the
> server I'm okay with that.  How can I tell dovecot-lda it's okay to
> deliver root's mail as root?

I think you'll find it's fairly common practice to alias root to whomever is
responsible for handling such mail, not delivering it to root (who generally has
no home dir, no quota limits, and, of course, almost no other limits).

This also removes the potential security issue of having your LDA running as
root (I'm not saying any LDA _are_ an issue, but it's easier to not have an
issue if you don't do it :)

--
Curtis Maloney
cmaloney at cardgate.net