[Dovecot] Invisible messages

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Mon Jan 30 12:24:46 EET 2006

On Monday 30 Jan 2006 07:57, Alan Premselaar wrote:

> Anne,
>
>  it looks like you just have had some small typos or
> misunderstandings throughout this process.  anyways, it looks like
> you're getting close.
>
> the problem with the above "${MAILDIR}/.INBOX.Design/new" is that
> procmail will then write an mbox style file called "new" in
> ${MAILDIR}/.INBOX.Design/  which is not what you want.

It doesn't seem to be doing that.  Take, for instance the folder
INBOX.Fedora.Users - there are 14 individual messages in cur, 0 in new.
All are visible over the lan.  It is noticeable, though, that the
messages that came in when I was using /new are named differently from
the ones accepted without /new, whatever that implies.

> to use procmail with maildir format (which is what I'm assuming you
> want to do with your setup, you need to end your destination
> directory with a /
>
> simply having ${MAILDIR}/.INBOX.Design/   or ${MAILDIR}/.Design/
> would have worked for you.

I'm using that now.  I did try both those formats before without
success.  It's almost as though it needed one message to be accepted
into /new to kick-start things, after which they can work without it.

> the different between [1]${MAILDIR}/.Design/ and
> [2]${MAILDIR}/.INBOX.Design/ is that the former will show up as a
> "root level" folder in your mailbox heirarchy, and the latter will
> show up as a subfolder of your INBOX.

Helpful explanation, thanks.

> you can actually achieve the same type of heirarchy with mbox
> format,although a primary difference is that in this case,
> .INBOX.Design/ can contain messages AND subfolders whereas mbox
> format will only allow .INBOX.Design to contain messages OR
> subfolders.

I used to use subfolders on the old mbox system.  I thought that the
difference was accounted for by version, so I'm pleased that this has
helped me understand more.

> anyways, I hope you find this useful.

Very.  But still a little puzzled about that 'new' thing.  I'm trying to
decide whether to leave it on for the little-used boxes that have not
yet received any mail.  The problem as I see it, is that before things
were kick-started it was writing mbox-style to the right place.  Now I
don't know whether the system is correctly taking care of things, or
whether the need is still folder-status-specific.  If it *is* needed
for those folders, leaving it off will result in lost, invisible
messages.

Anne