[Dovecot] Invisible messages

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Fri Jan 27 21:56:03 EET 2006

On Friday 27 Jan 2006 19:32, Johannes Berg wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-01-27 at 19:25 +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > The text file looks exactly like an mbox file - it is the two
> > messages, complete with headers, concatenated.
>
> That's strange. It probably includes
> From ....
> lines too, making it a complete mbox file.

Exactly.

> > There already is an .INBOX.Design folder, set up with all the
> > correct contents.
>
> Except the missing two mails? I guess you see all these via dovecot
> too, right? And in a folder displayed as something like INBOX/Design
> by your mail client.
>
> > I wonder what would happen if I renamed Design to Pattern?
>
> That still wouldn't be correct. It should be named .Pattern.
>
> > I wonder if .INBOX.Design would then show up?
>
> Oh inbox.design does not show up via imap?

I'm beginning to think that the Design folder I can see is the correct,
empty folder.

> > And if it did, would I be able to simply move the messages into the
> > correct folder using a file manager?
>
> In theory, yes, but you'd have to look out for filename clashes.

Renaming the dud folder to .Pattern didn't make it show up in the MUA.

> Here's how maildir works:
> Maildir/
>   cur/    <- all mails in INBOX go here
>   new/    <- new mails stored here until dovecot moves them to cur
>   tmp/
>   .INBOX/ <- only dovecot control stuff in here
>   .FOLDER/
>     cur/  <- mails in FOLDER go here
>     new/  <- new mails stored here until dovecot moves them to cur
>     tmp/
>   .INBOX.FOLDER/
>     cur,new,tmp  - mail for subfolder FOLDER of INBOX go here.
>
> Maybe dovecot is tripped up by the fact that you indeed have .Design,
> but it isn't a folder. Selecting it in your mail client (if it shows)
> should give an error (dovecot has an option to ignore
> non-directories, so that might be on too)

I didn't see any error.

OK - I've copied the two messages from .Pattern/cur
into .INBOX.Design/cur (they were in new, but have jumped across to
cur!).  Now when I use kmail from here to check mail it flags up that
there are two unread messages but if I try to read them they flash on
screen and immediately they are invisible again.

It's probably not worth worrying any more about them - unless there is a
likelihood that I have corrupted indexes.  They were only test
messages, and I can replace them.  Is the following procmail rule
correct, though, for putting them into .INBOX.Design?

:0:
* ^To:.*design at lydgate.org
  ${MAILDIR}.Design

Anne