[Dovecot] Dovecot using static uid gid

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Jan 26 22:14:43 EET 2006

On Mon, 2006-01-23 at 10:54 -0600, Alexandru Ionescu wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I have postfix deliver the mail in virtual maildirs using the UID of
> user dovecot. I authenticate users trying to access their mailboxes
> via IMAP through winbind.
> The authentication is successfull but dovecot logs
> imap(username): Date "Error: openidir (vmail/domain/username) failed:
> Permission denied.
>
> I tried to insert in dovecot.conf:
> static uid=97 gid=97 home=/vmail/domain
> but I get a report that parameters are missing.
> Does anybody know the the exact syntax for the static directive?

0.99.x or 1.0beta? They have different syntax.

0.99.x:

userdb = static uid=97 gid=97 home=/vmail/%d/%n

1.0beta:

userdb static {
  args = uid=97 gid=97 home=/vmail/%d/%n
}

"Permission denied" error anyway sounds like the UID 97 doesn't have
access there, or alternatively that you're using SELinux which prevents
accessing that directory.