[Dovecot] Fwd: Weird problem opening mbox in beta1/2

Chris Wakelin c.d.wakelin at reading.ac.uk
Wed Jan 25 14:32:54 EET 2006

Chris Wakelin wrote:
> Hmm, this is peculiar!
>
> This mailbox has been unchanged on my test server since September. I've
> been using it to test each new version of Dovecot just after I've
> compiled it.
>
> When beta1 was released, I opened this mbox with no problems. However,
> when I upgraded to beta2, I got "file size unexpectedly shrinked in mbox
> file /export/mail/a/24/vis99003/INBOX (16895967 vs 16899267)".
>
> Reverting to beta1, it also failed with the same error! I've deleted
> indexes, restored the mbox from a backup made in October (no changes)
> and I still get the error. It *does* open OK in 1.0-stable.
>
> I've put it through mboxcrypt.pl, deleted the UW-IMAP pseudo-message
> (which wasn't converted properly by mboxcrypt) and it still fails to
> open with a similar error, so I've sent it to Timo (gzipped, of course!)
>
> I've e-mailed this to the list minus the attachment as sending
> unsolicited 1MB attachments is unfriendly! However, if anybody wants to
> look at it, please let me know.
>
> Best Wishes,
> Chris
>
> P.S. The past participle of "shrink" is "shrunk" not "shrinked" - it's
> yet another irregular English verb :)

Right! Some more testing seems to give :-

1.0-alpha5 opens it fine
dovecot-20060110 opens it fine
dovecot-20060114 (plus the minor fixes for compile errors) fails
1.0-beta1 and 1.0-beta2 fail

dovecot-20060110 plus the patches from the CVS commits

	* src/lib-storage/index/mbox/: istream-raw-mbox.c, mbox-mail.c:
	  Handle unexpectedly breaking mboxes better without crashing.

	* src/lib-storage/index/mbox/mbox-sync-update.c: Use longer line
	  wrapping with X-IMAP, X-IMAPbase and X-Keywords headers since
	  UW-IMAP doesn't like the wrapping.

works (but I've just realised that the latter was after dovecot-20060114
anyway).

So it looks like it might be something to do with the int -> bool changes.

The really strange thing, is I'm pretty sure I checked this mbox with
all the above versions when they came out, and it was fine! I've also
got another mbox giving the same sort of error in beta1/2, and I've
tried a third one with beta2 and it was fine.

I've tried using UW-IMAP's mailutil to copy the mbox to a new folder
(which sometimes fixes mbox problems), and that new folder still fails.

I've got a few users (including me, of course!) using beta1 on the live
server without problems, but I'm not keen on deploying beta1 or beta2
everywhere without getting to the bottom of this :(

Best Wishes,
(Puzzled) Chris

--
Christopher Wakelin,                           c.d.wakelin at reading.ac.uk
IT Services Centre, The University of Reading,  Tel: +44 (0)118 378 8439
Whiteknights, Reading, RG6 2AF, UK              Fax: +44 (0)118 975 3094