[Dovecot] dovecot memory consumption beta vs. old "stable" series

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun Jan 22 14:33:54 EET 2006

On Fri, 2006-01-20 at 14:01 +0100, Gunter Ohrner wrote:
> I just wanted to know if anyone can give a definitive answer if dovecot
> beta's memory requirements are much better than in the old pre-alpha
> "stable" series?

Probably somewhat similar.

> I'm using a rather old stable.20050712 release on an also rather old
> Debian Sarge box to manage my personal mails. I'm pretty satisfied with
> this dovecot release but it's memory consumption when deleting messages
> causes major troubles on this box - more than 500 MB of virtual memory
> allocated to the "imap" process is quite a lot and often causes random
> processes to fall victim to the OOM killer. :-(

Umm. If it's allocating 500MB when deleting messages there's something
seriously wrong. I haven't heard this happening with any Dovecot version
before.

With "deleting" do you mean marking messages as deleted, or the expunge
operation? With mbox or maildir? Does it matter how many messages you're
deleting? How large the mailbox itself is?