[Dovecot] Dovecot index issues (Solaris/Thunderbird)

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun Jan 22 13:50:23 EET 2006

On Mon, 2006-01-16 at 16:46 -0700, Mario Nigrovic-rvvk40 wrote:
> default_mail_env = maildir:%h/.mail/Maildir:INDEX=/var/tmp/mario/dovecot

This looks correct.

> Dovecot happily makes index files, but then fails to serve some of my subscribed folders!

Do you see them in the mailbox list, or don't you just see mails inside
them?

> Thunderbird is less than helpful in telling me what's going wrong, but dtmail shows that dovecot is reporting "out of sync" and a couple other errors (UID out of sequence), then closing the connection (for those folders).  This may happen only after Thunderbird has tried to open the folder that I see these errors with dtmail:
>
> Dovecot ready.
> [UNSEEN 227] First unseen.
> [UIDNEXT 341] Predicted next UID
>
> IMAP connection broken (server response)
> No-op dead stream
> [CLOSED] No-op dead stream

Doesn't Dovecot's logs say anything? Since this looks like Dovecot
closes the connection, and in that case it should have written something
to logs..

> I've turned mmap off and set locking to fcntl.

If indexes are in local disk, that's not needed.

> As a last resort, I've turned indexes off
> default_mail_env = maildir:%h/.mail/Maildir:INDEX=MEMORY
> but this makes thunderbird reload all headers every time I open a folder, which takes a very long time.

Thunderbird should be caching the headers locally. If it reloads them
completely, it means the message UIDs have changed. That shouldn't be
happening.

What about ~/.mail/Maildir/dovecot-uidlist file? It should contain
something like:

31 1059753523.2405.mbox:2,F
32 1059753524.2405.mbox:2,F

The second number in first line (1127056150) is the UIDVALIDITY. Does it
keep changing? The rest of the lines contain <UID> <maildir file>. Do
their UIDs keep changing?