[Dovecot] Mail.app message numbering for deleted messages

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun Jan 22 13:44:07 EET 2006

On Mon, 2006-01-16 at 18:29 -0500, jcn-dovecot at pith.org wrote:
> I'm having a strange problem that appeared when I upgraded from
> .99something to 1.0alpha3 and then disappeared for a while and then
> re-appeared when I upgraded to 1.0alpha5.
>
> I am using mbox and IMAP in Apple's Mail.app to read my mail. When I
> delete a message in Mail.app, the message gets marked as deleted in the
> spool and it disappears from the mail listing in Mail. However, the
> message number does not change until I either manually flush the deleted
> messages through mail, or I go offline which deletes the messages from the
> spool.
>
> I have mbox_lazy_writes set to 'no' but this didn't seem to have any
> effect on the behavior. I never saw this type of behavior with UW-IMAP
> either, which is what I migrated from.

What do you mean by "message number doesn't change"?

To me this sounds like it all works as it should. Deleted messages are
really deleted only until expunge command is given, which is done when
you manually select "purge expunged messages" command or whatever it was
called in Mail.

Maybe before with UW-IMAP you just had some "automatically expunge
messages" option set?