[Dovecot] 1.0 beta 1 feature request: passwd-file vs. prefetch

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Sun Jan 22 13:22:12 EET 2006

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> > Is this planned for a future version or would the benefits be too small
> > to justify that?
>
> I don't think it would benefit much. It'd be one less hash table lookup,
> but those are fast anyway. And it would require more code..

Is dovecot really hashing plain passwd files and checking if they have
changed before access to re-read and re-hash them?

I'd thought these were just read linearly on demand - and then it gets
O(n) rather than O(1).

> > Another idea: can userdb prefetch {} fall back to retrying the passdb
> > entries to see if they come up with useful information?
>
> I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but if the passdb didn't return
> userdb information, I don't think there's any point to configure userdb
> to be prefetch..

The passwd file has all necessary information. It is actually
automatically derived from the userdb file I'm feeding to maildrop with
a short Perl script.

--
Matthias Andree