[Dovecot] Login user doesn't exist: dovecot

Willem Riede wriede at riede.org
Sat Jan 21 01:09:13 EET 2006

On 01/20/2006 07:34:09 AM, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Thursday 19 Jan 2006 22:37, Willem Riede wrote:
> > On 01/19/2006 05:11:30 PM, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > > I think that maybe I should uninstall it and start again.
> >
> > Now that you're running Fedora you should use a RPM to install
> > dovecot. I can help you with that by getting you my working beta1
> > src.rpm to rebuild, if you like.
> >
> Hi, William.  Thanks for the offer.  I'm a bit puzzled at the moment asto
> where I've actually got to.  This is what's happened:
>
> I had original made an rpm with checkinstall, so I removed the dovecotuser,
> so that a new install would set it up with the expected UID andGID, and
> removed the rpm.
>
> My 'bright' idea was that I would install the official Fedora 0.99.14,then
> install 1.0bet1 over it.  I had been assured earlier that it wouldinstall
> over the executables, so it seemed reasonable.
>
> I got 0.99.14 on, but could not find the dovecot.conf.example ordovecot.conf
> to check paths, which worried me a bit, so I thought thatif I attempted a
> login it would give me errors that would define apath.  For the first time
> ever, it logged in!  What's more, I can seemy imap directories on another
> box.
>
> The only dovecot.conf that I know about is the copy that wasin /home/anne.
> What do you think is happening?
>
> If all is working I will leave well alone.  This is to be a temporarymail
> server while I do an upgrade.  I don't want to do any more work onit than I
> need to, because I will be doing it over again, for apermanent install, on
> the upgraded box in a week or so.

On Fedora, there are a couple of minor differences in how dovecot gets
installed which means a fedora-specific .spec file and some small patches. It
is not efficient for everybody to dicover that for themselves, hence my offer
to leverage what I've done. Installing my rpm would create the dovecot user
and put certificates where fedora wants them, for instance.

Up to you. Willem Riede.