[Dovecot] beta1: how to use quota plugin???

Jeff A. Earickson jaearick at colby.edu
Fri Jan 20 02:56:40 EET 2006

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 23:01:40 +0200
> From: Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi>
> To: Jeff A. Earickson <jaearick at colby.edu>, dovecot at dovecot.org
> Subject: Re: [Dovecot] beta1: how to use quota plugin???
>
> On 19.1.2006 22:47, "Jeff A. Earickson" <jaearick at colby.edu> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>     After searching gmane.mail.imap.dovecot on the topic, and
>> wiki.dovecot.org, I'm still clueless on how to use RFC 2087
>> quotas in dovecot with the quota plugin.  How come no wiki
>> doc?
>
> I haven't yet managed to make it work myself either. Although I got as far
> as my system telling me that it doesn't support quotactl() syscall.
>
> The point is anyway that userdb should be providing a "quota" named variable
> to Dovecot. So it doesn't even work with all userdbs yet. I'll probably have
> to add some other place to set it up also (similar to default_mail_env).
> Anyway, its format should be:
>
> quota=fs:/home/user/mail
>
> Or if all of the users are in same quota root, I suppose fs:/home works just
> as well.

Timo,
    I feel much better about this if you don't understand it either. :)
Assuming for the moment that quotactl() works, is the syntax above what
one puts in the dovecot.conf to invoke the quota-fs library?  Just out
of curiosity, does your fs_quota_get_resource() routine do what you
expect it to on Solaris?

   I notice that doing a "man quotactl" on both S9 and S10 shows that the
relevant call is ioctl(), not quotactl().  That may be the problem on
Solaris.  For HP-UX, there really is a quotactl(2) system call.  Tomorrow,
I'm going to write a little standalone program to try and mimic quota(1)
output via ioctl() or quotactl() and figure out how it works in C.

Jeff Earickson
Colby College