[Dovecot] new configure-option --disable-index

Marten Lehmann lehmann at cnm.de
Wed Jan 18 16:10:00 EET 2006

Hello,

> Hmm, maybe I grasp your problem now: You use a passwd file, which uses
> the colon as delimiter for its fields itself, right?

thats correct.

> However, I never used passwd, but it's limited to uid/pwd/homedir
> anyway, right? So you ought to have some fixed template to reach your
> mailboxes relative to the user's homedirectory, which you can put into
> default_mail_env and add the ":INDEX=MEMORY" there.

As I said before: The Maildir-folder is more complex.

Let's say we have a mailbox called try at test.de, the it's
maildir-location would be /pop3/mailboxes/t/te/test.de/_/try/Maildir.

If it would be a subdomain of test.de, lets says try at subdomain.test.de,
the maildir-location would be
/pop3/mailboxes/t/te/test.de/subdomain/try/Maildir.

dovecot is in no circumstances able to see whats a subdomain and whats
the domain. You can't split at the dots, because errors would occur for
third-level domains like test.co.uk. So the entry of userdb must be used.

Regards
Marten