[Dovecot] Duplicate suppression

Greg Trounson gregt at maths.otago.ac.nz
Tue Jan 17 05:51:28 EET 2006

Curtis Maloney wrote:
> Greg Trounson wrote:
>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> Does the Dovecot project have plans to implement duplicate suppression
>> at some stage?
>>
>> I have a situation where several people belong to more than one
>> mailing list.  One alias ('staff') incorporates several lists.  These
>> staff are receiving duplicate messages (one copy for every list
>> they're on) when a message is sent to this staff alias. There is no
>> reason they need to receive more than one copy.
>

> Your wording here is a little confusing.  Are you saying that several
> people are not only on the mailing list, but also in the 'staff' alias,
> which is also on the mailing list?

Ugh, you're right.  I could have made that clearer.

What I mean is that I have a mailing list 'staff', which contains
several sub-lists (general, academics, visitors, etc).  Now there are a
few people who are members of the general list and academics, and others
who are members of visitors and academics.  So when an email is sent to
'staff', the people receive the message once for every sub-list they
appear in.  This is all done with postfix aliases.

A diagram might help.  In the below case, both Jan and Chris will
receive two copies of every message addressed to 'staff':

              staff

         +------+------+
        /       |       \
general    visitors   academics