[Dovecot] in a major jam...

Tom Allison tallison at tacocat.net
Mon Jan 16 21:46:36 EET 2006

I upgraded my dovecot installation from something <<1.0 to 0.99.14
today.  I wasn't exactly planning to but it just came along for the ride
when I upgraded the rest of my system.

I was using postgresql for the authentication.

Nothing works.

the debug logs show that I'm able to make a connection to the database
table well enough:
auth(default): pgsql: Connected to dbmail (that's my database name)

When I attempt to login I get (briefly)
password mismatch.
I haven't changed the password in well over a year.

My old configuration file for dovecot.conf went to the tune of:
login = imap
auth_mechanisms = plain
auth_passdb = pgsql:/etc/dovecot/dovecot-pgsql.conf
auth_user = root  (probably not the best, but it worked)

I now have a config file something like this:
dovecot-pgsql.conf -- added the 'driver = pgsql' statement.
Because it's able to connect to the database I don't think this is much
of a problem here.

dovecot.conf (these are all the non-empty lines, except for some logging
stuff)

protocols = imap
disable_plaintext_auth = no
protocol imap {
}
protocol pop3 {
}
auth_verbose = yes
auth_debug = yes
auth default {
   mechanisms = plain
   passdb pam {
   }
   passdb sql {
      args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-pgsql.conf
   }
   userdb passwd {
   }
   user = root
}

It's fairly obvious that there has been a lot of work done on getting
more authentication mechanisms in place for dovecot.  That's great, and
some day I want to play with it, but this is not the day for it.

help.... help.... oh help!