[Dovecot] Locking strategy?

Gerhard Wiesinger lists at wiesinger.com
Sun Jan 15 19:01:16 EET 2006

Hello!

I finally got dovecot to work with pine. I will post some instructions how
to configure dovecot, Thunderbird and pine later on.

One thing is left:
A telnet to port 143 and /usr/sbin/dovecot --exec-mail imap behaves
slightly different and a consistent configuration for subscription
folders is not possible (looks like it has a different base directory, in
the first case ~/ as configured in /etc/dovecot.conf and in the second case
~/Mail (it is not set in the environment))

/usr/sbin/dovecot --exec-mail imap
* PREAUTH [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 SORT THREAD=REFERENCES MULTIAPPEND
UNSELECT IDLE CHILDREN NAMESPACE LOGIN-REFERRALS] Logged in as userx
1 lsub "" "~/Mail/*"
1 OK Lsub completed.

Mozilla: with or without ssl
3 lsub "" "~/Mail/*"
* LSUB () "/" "~/Mail/Drafts"
* LSUB () "/" "~/Mail/Templates"
* LSUB () "/" "~/Mail/Trash"
3 OK Lsub completed.

Through Port 143:
1 LIST "" %
returns list from ~/

Through command /usr/sbin/dovecot --exec-mail imap
1 LIST "" %
returns list from ~/Mail

Maybe this comes from this TODO (from file TODO):
- dovecot --exec-mail imap doesn't set MAIL environment?

Can this be fixed easily? Where does ~/Mail come from?

Thank you for the answer.

Ciao,
Gerhard