[Dovecot] Plain password not authenticating

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Sun Jan 15 00:18:07 EET 2006

On Saturday 14 Jan 2006 19:21, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Saturday 14 Jan 2006 19:11, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> > On Sat, 2006-01-14 at 15:32 +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > >   userdb passwd-file{
> >
> > You're missing a space in here before '{'.
>
> Well spotted, thanks :-)  Last one - last line, so it has to be -
> #User to use for the process
> user = root
>
> Unknown setting: user

I commented it out, thinking that a default would be used and should be
fine.  However, when I try to start dovecot I get 'Fatal:  Can't create
directory /usr/local/var/run/dovecot: No such file or directory'.  I'm
sure it should be looking at /var/run/dovecot.  I wonder why this is
happening?  Is it a mistake I made when compiling, or a setting that is
wrong somewhere?

Anne