[Dovecot] PAM Authentication issues with Dovecot

Udo Rader udo.rader at bestsolution.at
Thu Jan 12 23:35:25 EET 2006

Am Donnerstag, den 12.01.2006, 16:21 -0500 schrieb
david.kolts at entouch.net:
> Udo,
>

> Here is my /etc/pam.d/system-auth file.
>

> #%PAM-1.0
> # This file is auto-generated.
> # User changes will be destroyed the next time authconfig is run.
> auth        required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_env.so
> auth        sufficient    /lib/security/$ISA/pam_unix.so likeauth
> nullok
> auth        required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_deny.so
>
> account     required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_unix.so
> account     sufficient    /lib/security/$ISA/pam_succeed_if.so uid <
> 100 quiet
> account     required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_permit.so
>
> password    requisite     /lib/security/$ISA/pam_cracklib.so retry=3
> password    sufficient    /lib/security/$ISA/pam_unix.so nullok
> use_authtok md5 shadow
> password    required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_deny.so
>
> session     required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_limits.so
> session     required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_unix.so
>

> Any ideas?

Hmm, that doesn't look different from mine.

The log message you get shows that unix_chkpwd is called to verify the
given password and that again means that all the mail users have to be
stored in /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow.

Jan 12 11:25:41 hermes unix_chkpwd[4601]: check pass; user unknown

Can you su - $USER (if the user has a valid login shell)?

regards

Udo

--
BestSolution.at GmbH