[Dovecot] dovecot-ldap.conf for usernames/homes/UID/GID

Paul Matthews paul.matthews at cathedral.qld.edu.au
Thu Jan 12 07:30:10 EET 2006

hi there,

I’m getting such a headache today, I’ve added myself to three mailing lists
trying to figure this out, okay here it goes.

I’ve got a Fedora Core 4 box running dovecot imap, squirrel mail, postfix,
samba/winbind.

I’m running winbind to authenticate against Active Directory, I’ve edited my
‘/etc/pam.d/dovecot’ pam module so to let my users login with there Active
directory password, but squirrel mail wont let them
 I think, let me stress
the term, ‘think’ is has something to do with there home directories,
because I have some local users as well, they can login no issues & my users
with the same usernames on unix and ADS can login with there ADS passwords

Now I’m looking at the dovecot webmin module and I see that ‘Data source for
users, homes and Ids’ is set to use ‘Standard unix username database’. There
is now option of PAM like in ‘Password authentication source’. Although I do
see LDAP, using config file. Can I set that to query Active directory ldap
database and go there Data source for users, homes and Ids’?

If I can can someone tell me how to, if not can someone tell me what I need
to do?

Here is what I have so far with my /etc/dovecot-ldap.conf

hosts = senior-server.school.cathedral.qld.edu.au:389
dn = cn=administrator,cn=users,dc=school,dc=cathedral,dc=qld,dc=edu,dc=au
dnpass = wwvH at cs
ldap_version = 3
base = dc=school,dc=cathedral,dc=qld,dc=edu,dc=au
deref = never
scope = subtree

user_attrs = uid,homeDirectory,,uid,uidNumber,gidNumber

user_filter = (&(objectClass=posixAccount)(cn=%u))
pass_attrs = uid,userPassword
pass_filter = (&(objectClass=posixAccount)(uid=%u))
CRYPT
default_pass_scheme = CRYPT
user_global_uid = 100
user_global_gid = 100