[Dovecot] IMAP subscriptions - how, for what and why?

Marc Perkel marc at perkel.com
Tue Jan 10 14:19:34 EET 2006

Timo Sirainen wrote:

>On Tue, 2006-01-10 at 13:03 +0200, Tom Alsberg wrote:
>

>>Again, not a Dovecot issua - but can someone clarify better what IMAP
>>subscriptions (SUBSCRIBE/UNSUBSCRIBE/LSUB) are and what they are used
>>for?
>>

>Pretty much the only point of subscriptions is that you don't have to
>look at all the mailboxes that server has to offer. This is especially
>useful if you have tens or hundreds of shared/public mailboxes (eg.
>mailing lists or some news gateway or whatever).

Another advantage of the 1.0 version release is that some distributions
might include your 0.9x version instead of the alpha because of the
alpha name. A 1.0 version will keep people from installing the older and
obsolete versions. And that is important I would think.

Marc Perkel - marc at perkel.com

Spam Filter: http://www.junkemailfilter.com
    My Blog: http://marc.perkel.com