[Dovecot] How long to 1.0?

Marc Perkel marc at perkel.com
Tue Jan 10 13:40:43 EET 2006

Udo Rader wrote:

>On Tue, 2006-01-10 at 03:24 -0800, Marc Perkel wrote:
>

>>I don't know what other people think, if we can do a quick poll here,
>>but comparing the current Alpha 5 to other 1.0 version of software, I
>>think Dovecot is way more solid than most 1.0 versions. In fact, I'd
>>give it a 1.3 if it were me. (Hope this makes sense to everyone.)
>>

>In fact, if 1.0 ever comes out, it will certainly be the most stable 1.0
>piece of software that I have ever dealt with :-)
>
>Udo Rader

Yeah, seriously, compare it to the 2.6.0 Linux kernel which was better
than most. Compare it to Firefox 1.0 or Thunderbird 1.0 or Mozilla 1.0,
Netscape 1.0. Usually the 1.0 version is still fairly broken, 1.01 is
fixed enough to be usable, 1.02, 1.03 ... more usable, then 1.1 is where
you can almost begin to rely on it and 1.2 is feeling fixed. By the time
you get to 1.3 it's solid with it being fuzzy on the edges for the real
obscure stuff. The 2.0 version is the rewrite of everything and 2.1.5 is
solid.

Timo's just behind on his numbering. Most software projects it might
already be in the 2.0 beta with this kind of development.

Marc Perkel - marc at perkel.com

Spam Filter: http://www.junkemailfilter.com
    My Blog: http://marc.perkel.com