[Dovecot] Maildir permissions, shared folders & postfix

Leeman Strout me at mooluv.com
Mon Jan 9 22:24:22 EET 2006

Stroller wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> It seems that Postfix doesn't respect the permissions of the parent
> folder when delivering mail into it:
>
> How inconsiderate of Postfix to set secure permissions on the message it
> delivered!! I need the message to have 660 permissions so that others in
> the group can read it! At present this causes Squirrelmail to squeal &
> give nasty messages whenever a shared mailbox is accesses.
>
> Can anyone advise me how to resolve this, please?

Well, my original reply got eaten since I hadn't subscribed. Ah well...
let me try to recall it all:

Idea #1:  Switch to postfix virtual users.  This way all email is
handled/owned by own uid/gid.  Works great unless you let people log
into your machine.

Idea #2:  Use procmail and a recipe+script to chmod incoming mail as it
arrives.

Idea #3:  Use a postfix alias piped to a script to do idea #2 without
procmail.  Only issue I have is not knowing the rules for Maildir file
naming, therefor I'd rely on procmail as I already use it.

Idea #4:  Use a postfix alias to 2 locations, the real one and the
script.  Stick a delay in the script to wait for real delivery.  The
script does the chmod.  Messy, since it relies on things happening
elsewhere in a timely manner and this doesn't always happen.

Leeman