[Dovecot] Using dovecot auth with Postfix

Kim Culhan w8hdkim at gmail.com
Sun Jan 1 18:01:28 EET 2006

On 12/31/05, Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-12-31 at 18:17 -0500, Kim Culhan wrote:
> >     client {
> >       path = /var/spool/postfix/private/dovecot-auth-master
> >       mode = 0660
>
> This isn't -master socket, so the path is a bit misleading.

Yes this is a mistake, changed it to: dovecot-auth-client

> And either set mode = 0666 or add a line with "user = postfix".
>
> > dovecot: Dec 31 17:04:32 Error: child 3536 (auth) returned error 89
> > dovecot: Dec 31 17:25:34 Error: Auth process died too early - shutting down
> > dovecot: Dec 31 17:25:34 Error: auth(default_with_listener): Unknown
> > userdb driver 'pam' (typo, or Dovecot was built without support for
> > it? Check with dovecot --build-options)
> >
> > Before modifying the setup for this auth function, pam authentication was
> > working fine.
>
> PAM is only a "passdb", not an "userdb". So I'd think you wanted to set
> passdb pam, userdb passwd (or whatever, since postfix doesn't use it at
> all).

Yes, dovecot-example.conf has
#  userdb pam {

changed to

userdb passwd {

Also, one goal is to locate the auth socket in a place which
is accessable to postfix if postfix is running chrooted.

It would appear that if set:
login_dir = /var/spool/postfix/private
dovecot sets ownership of the above to root.

When this is the case, postfix will not start.

If dovecot is not running as root it can't read the passwd database
so is it necessary to change the type of database to something
other than passwd for this to work ?

regards
-kim

w8hdkim at gmail.com