[Dovecot] Dovecot username mapping

Brian T Glenn glenn-dovecot at delink.net
Sat Feb 25 00:12:09 EET 2006

On Thu, Feb 23, 2006 at 12:55:47PM -0500, Adam Fuzzy Kennedy may have written:

> I have dovecot working just peachy with the setup, except for one
> problem. We are an ISP. The easiest thing for us (and our users) is to
> have them use their full email address as their username.
>
> What I need is some way to have Dovecot take a username and map it to
> the real unix user. Our unix users are created as "username-domain.com"

You could also use LDAP as the backend instead of the UNIX passwd
database. You can create shell users out of them if you want to using
libnss-ldap and libpam-ldap.

I use this kind of setup with dovecot and qmail-ldap. You can give a
custom filter to dovecot to search for as well, so I can disable users
in the MTA and IMAP/POP3 just by setting:

accountStatus: disabled

in the DN for that user.

HTH,
--