[Dovecot] Problems with dovecot-sieve on Debian Etch using dovecot LDA

Samir M. Nassar dovecot at myriapolis.net
Sat Dec 30 14:54:43 UTC 2006

On Friday 29 December 2006 13:42, Luca Corti wrote:
> > I am using deliver as LDA and I am attempting to use the sieve plugin but
> > try as I might I can't seem to get it working.
> >
> > Am I wrong in thinking that a sieve daemon should become active when
> > dovecot starts?
>
> There's no SIEVE daemon. SIEVE functionality is implemented as a plugin
> to the dovecot LDA. You sould check out the dovecot-lda module from CVS
> and build it against your dovecot sources.

Thank you. The confusion was on my part. My MTA supports managesieve and I
read managesieve support into dovecot 1.0 but that functionality hasn't
arrived yet. My mistake.

I thought the debian packages provide dovecot-lda. From the file system it
seems like dovecot-lda is built:

/usr/lib/dovecot/modules/lda/lib01_acl_plugin.so
/usr/lib/dovecot/modules/lda/lib01_convert_plugin.so
/usr/lib/dovecot/modules/lda/lib01_quota_plugin.so
/usr/lib/dovecot/modules/lda/lib02_trash_plugin.so
/usr/lib/dovecot/modules/lda/lib90_cmusieve_plugin.a
/usr/lib/dovecot/modules/lda/lib90_cmusieve_plugin.la
/usr/lib/dovecot/modules/lda/lib90_cmusieve_plugin.so

> > Here is my dovecot.conf:
>
> You miss a "protocol lda" section specifying which plugins should be
> loaded. See http://wiki.dovecot.org/LDA/Sieve for documentation.

from my dovecot.conf:

protocol lda {
  # Address to use when sending rejection mails.
        postmaster_address = postmaster at myriapolis.net

  # Hostname to use in various parts of sent mails, eg. in Message-Id.
  # Default is the system's real hostname.
  #hostname =

  # Support for dynamically loadable plugins. mail_plugins is a space
separated
  # list of plugins to load.
  mail_plugin_dir = /usr/lib/dovecot/modules/lda

  # Binary to use for sending mails.
  sendmail_path = /usr/lib/sendmail

  # UNIX socket path to master authentication server to find users.
  auth_socket_path = /var/run/dovecot/auth-master

  # Enabling Sieve plugin for server-side mail filtering
  mail_plugins = cmusieve
  log_path = /var/log/dovecot/deliver.log
  info_log_path = /var/log/dovecot/deliver-info.log
}

So is dovecot not picking this up?

Samir M. Nassar