[Dovecot] Problems with dovecot-sieve on Debian Etch using dovecot LDA

Samir M. Nassar dovecot at myriapolis.net
Sat Dec 30 14:54:18 UTC 2006

On Friday 29 December 2006 12:49, Daniel Ballenger wrote:

> > Am I wrong in thinking that a sieve daemon should become active when
> > dovecot starts?
>
> There's supposed to be a daemon?

It seems it is my understanding that is lacking, not the daemon. I was
thinking of the managesieve extension which is not available in Dovecot 1.0
yet, although there are patches out there it seems.
My MTA (KMail) supports the managesieve extention but it wasn't until looking
closer at my MTA that is occured to me that "managesieve" is distinct
from "managing sieve". Mea culpa.

> > Here is my .dovecot.sieve
> >
> > require "fileinto";
> > if address :is "from" "foo at example" {
> >         fileinto ".INBOX.test";
> > } else {
> > # The rest goes into INBOX
> > # default is "implicit keep", we do it explicitly here
> >         keep;
> > }

> Does .dovecot.sieve.err exist?  I believe I tried something similar to
> that at first and had to change "from" to "From"

.dovecot.sieve.err does not exist.

I have .dovecot.sieve in my users home and in the Maildir folder but I am
planning on having mostly virtual users with no account on the system.

-lrwxrwxrwx 1 USER users   38 2006-12-29 09:59 Mail
> /home/myriapolis.net/mailboxes/USER

But mail just goes to INBOX instead of getting routed and
no .dovecot.sieve.err is generated

Thank you for the help,
Samir M. Nassar