[Dovecot] Error reading configuration file

Justin Pearce justinp at pricevideo.com
Wed Dec 27 14:44:04 UTC 2006

Good day,

I seem to be having an issue using dovecot 1.0 rc15. I compiled the
source with the following configure command:

CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/local/include/mysql" LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/lib/mysql"
-lmysqlclient" ./configure -with-mysql -with-sql-drivers=mysql

Did make and make install and set the dovecot-example.conf to
dovecot.conf and tried running the program and got the following error:

Error: Error in configuration file on line 50: expecting '='

Line 50 of the default config is a comment, which struck me as odd. So,
I uninstalled and tried building with no options. I did a make
uninstall, removed the /usr/local/lib/dovecot directory did make and
make install and tried the program. This time it didn't crash about the
config file, but the mail.err log notes that the child processes died on
an error 89, apparently unable to figure our what pam was.

I'm wondering why the thing seems to work if I do not build for mysql
but if I want mysql, it breaks in the manner it does? Is it a bug, or am
I doing it wrong (which is a real possibility). Any help soon would be
appreciated, as my boss keeps asking 'So, when is that mail server going
to be done?'. :)

Justin Pearce

Information Technology/Programming

Price Video Productions