[Dovecot] Intermittent "cannot update mailbox" problems w/ postfix & dovecot

John Reddy john.reddy at gmail.com
Tue Dec 26 18:26:30 UTC 2006

I never did locate the root cause of the problem I was experiencing.
The problem seems to have been fixed by switching to the Dovecot LDA
(deliver) by putting in the /etc/postfix/main.cf:
mailbox_command = /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/deliver -c
/usr/local/etc/dovecot.conf -f "$SENDER"

I brought this up on the postfix mailing list as well.  According to
Wietse Venema:

> We're looking at this code fragment:
>

>     /*
>       * Open an existing file.
>       */
>      if ((fp = vstream_fopen(path, flags & ~(O_CREAT | O_EXCL), 0)) == 0) {
>          saved_errno = errno;
>          vstring_sprintf(why, "cannot open file: %m");
>          errno = saved_errno;
>          return (0);
>      }
>  Since the file already exists, Postfix attempts to open it with
>  the recipient's uid/gid privileges.
>

> > Does anyone have any advice on how I might get better details about
> > why postfix is having trouble accessing the file?
>  "Permission denied" is what the kernel says in response to an
>  open(2) or write(2) request. Postfix just delivers the bad news.

Wietse is the one who suggested switching to the Dovecot LDA, and it
does seem to be working out well.

-John