[Dovecot] Postfix/Dovecot virtual - directory structure

Luigi Rosa lrosa at hypertrek.info
Sat Dec 23 06:54:09 UTC 2006

Johan Folin said the following On 23/12/2006 0:14:

> Hi, perhaps I should post this in a Postfix forum but I'll give it a
> shot: I want my accounts sorted under /home/vmail/[domain]/[username]
> (and I managed to get Dovecot to look for mail there with %d and %n ),
> but how do I tell Postfix to sort the mail?

I am setting up a server with exactly this configuration with maildir
storage. I am using MySQL for user authentication/management.

I set up a user list with this structure:

+----------+--------------+------+-----+---------+----------------+
| Field    | Type         | Null | Key | Default | Extra          |
+----------+--------------+------+-----+---------+----------------+
| idutente | int(11)      |      | PRI | NULL    | auto_increment |
| email    | varchar(100) |      | MUL |         |                |
| uid      | int(11)      |      |     | 999     |                |
| gid      | int(11)      |      |     | 999     |                |
| homedir  | varchar(200) |      |     |         |                |
| maildir  | varchar(200) |      |     |         |                |
| password | varchar(50)  |      |     |         |                |
| attivo   | char(1)      |      |     | Y       |                |
| dominio  | varchar(50)  |      |     |         |                |
+----------+--------------+------+-----+---------+----------------+

This is an example of the table content:

email: u1 at test.info
uid: 999
gid: 999
homedir: /var/spool/mail/test.info/u1
maildir: test.info/u1/
password: test
attivo: Y

email: u2 at test.info
uid: 999
gid: 999
homedir: /var/spool/mail/test.com/u2
maildir: test.com/u2/
password: test
attivo: Y

In Postfix I use this query:

SELECT maildir FROM users WHERE email='%s' AND attivo='Y'

In Dovecot the querys are:

password_query = SELECT email AS user, password FROM users WHERE
email='%u' AND attivo='Y'

user_query = SELECT uid,gid,homedir AS home,
CONCAT('/var/spool/mail/',maildir) AS mail FROM users WHERE email='%u'
AND attivo='Y'

Maildir are in /var/spool/mail/[domain]/[user]/

Ciao,
luigi

--
/
+--[Luigi Rosa]--

I got the bill for my surgery.
Now I know what those doctors were wearing masks for.
     -- James Boren