[Dovecot] Sizing login_process_size and login_processes_count?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Dec 22 22:48:12 UTC 2006

On 18.12.2006, at 18.22, Francisco Reyes wrote:

> Timo Sirainen writes:
>
>> Are you using SSL? It all depends on how much memory each OpenSSL
>> connection takes, Dovecot itself doesn't take more than maybe 20k
>> max.
>> I've no idea about OpenSSL's memory usage.
>

> Yes we offere SSL.
> What would be a good way to meassure?
> See how much each SSL connection takes?

Well, the whole setting exists only because I've wanted to be extra
cautious of not giving pre-login users possibility to eat all the
memory from the system. But as long as there are no security holes
(or bugs) in Dovecot, that won't happen anyway. So you could just as
well set it to something like 1 gigabyte, and you'd never notice
problems.

I don't know how to properly measure how much OpenSSL takes memory.
It probably depends on a lot of things. If the memory size setting is
too low, the login process will be killed. So as long as you don't
see any "login process killed" messages in log files, the value is
high enough..