[Dovecot] Feature request: don't allow subscriptions to deleted mail boxes

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Dec 22 22:13:54 UTC 2006

On 21.12.2006, at 14.55, Erik van Oosten wrote:

> Due to Thunderbird's mailbox deletion problem I was able to remove
> a mailbox while keeping the subscription. This was hugely annoying
> as Thunderbird is totally incapable of removing the subscription,
> even though the mailbox is long gone. It took me a while before I
> found a work around: I had to actually log in and remove a line
> from the .subscriptions file. You will probably get the same
> problem when you manually delete or rename a mailbox.
>
> So here is my feature request: please check for subscriptions to
> non-existing mail boxes and delete these when found.

I thought Thunderbird unsubscribed before deleting a mailbox? In any
case this is a Thunderbird bug.

Having subscriptions for non-existing mailboxes is sometimes wanted.
At least with mboxes some MUAs go and delete the mbox whenever it
gets empty.

In any case IMAP RFC says that it shouldn't be done, so Dovecot's
behavior won't be changed. That's how it works with all the other
IMAP servers as well.