[Dovecot] dbox support state

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Dec 21 16:24:24 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-12-13 at 00:52 +0100, Farkas Levente wrote:
> hi,
> what is the current state of dovecot dbox support? is it stable, fast
> and usable? is it have current advantage over maildir or it will only
> have when it'll be optimized? is it worth to choose as a default mailbox
> format in a new dovecot install?

I did pretty heavy stress testing for it some months ago, but I haven't
tried since then if it's still working. I'm planning on moving my own
mails to it when I have enough free time (should first figure out how to
make procmail use Dovecot LDA).

I think it should be pretty fast already. With my imaptest client that
kept fetching, appending and expunging messages using 5 connections it
was a lot faster than maildir. Actually maildir really seems to suck
when doing that kind of operations, even mbox is much faster with it..

One optimization left for it would be to not store flags and keywords to
the dbox files at all, but keep everything in index files. Once I get
that implemented, I'll start benchmarking it. Of course the problem with
that is that it relies on index files completely then.