[Dovecot] umask 007 ineffective with newly created Maildir message

Steve James s.james at bigfoot.com
Thu Dec 21 09:58:35 UTC 2006

On Thursday 21 December 2006 08:59, Timothy White wrote:
--snip--
> >   maildir_copy_with_hardlinks = yes
> >

> > To reproduce:-
> >   1. Using your IMAP client with two IMAP accounts, copy a message from a
> > folder in one account, to a folder in the other account
> >   2. See that the newly created message file is -rw-------
> >
> > If a message is moved between folders on the _same_ account, however, the
> > group permissions are preserved (ie not masked off). So it seems that the
> > umask option is ineffective when the imap daemon creates a new maildir
> > message file.
>
> Might this be because it's doing "maildir_copy_with_hardlinks = yes" ??
> When you go between accounts, this won't happen, as the copy happens
> client side.

Tim,

Yes, I did wonder about that. However, I assert that, while that may explain
the difference in behaviour, it's nevertheless incorrect behaviour ;-)

Besides, I don't think the use of hardlinks should be relevant: two directory
entries that link to the same file are still two different directory entries
with their own, individual ownerships and permissions. I could do the
experiment if that's useful?

For the time being, I have a cron process to chmod g+rw all the relevant
maildir files. Yech.

Steve.

--
Domestic happiness and faithful friends.