[Dovecot] Odd Error: Expecting '='

Patrick Rutkowski rutski89 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 20 04:37:12 UTC 2006

Ok, so now I have 1.0 running. That error I had before went away, but
now I have a new error. When I do "USER user at foo.org" over a telnet
to dovecot on my test server I get "-ERR Plaintext authentication
disabled." as a response. This is puzzling because in dovecot-
sql.conf I have "default_pass_scheme = PLAIN" and in dovecot.conf in
the auth default {} section I have "mechanisms = plain"

I wrote the configs from scratch this time, so they are very short;
there they are in their entirety:

=== dovecot.conf ===

ssl_disable = yes

protocols = pop3 pop3s

default_mail_env = maildir:~/

auth default {
     mechanisms = plain login

     passdb sql {
         args = /opt/dovecot/etc/dovecot-sql.conf
     }
     userdb sql {
         args = /opt/dovecot/etc/dovecot-sql.conf
     }
}

=== dovecot-sql.conf ===

driver              = pgsql
connect             = host=localhost dbname=mails user=mailreader
password=secret
default_pass_scheme = PLAIN
password_query      = SELECT password FROM users WHERE userid = '%u'
user_query          = SELECT '/home/'||home AS home, uid, gid FROM
users WHERE userid = '%u'