[Dovecot] Dovecot "open files" (again?)

falz me at falz.net
Fri Dec 15 18:36:22 UTC 2006

On 12/15/06, Ejay Hire <ehire at cbrweb.com> wrote:

> I'm looking at this too, for me it isn't releasing all of  the index files consistently.
> Two questions.
>
> 1.  I have a dumb question.  Does FreeBSD allow  you to see /set the # of files a process can open with  ulimit?

Yep, in FreeBSD it's just "limits" which gives:

Resource limits (current):
  cputime          infinity secs
  filesize         infinity kb
  datasize           524288 kb
  stacksize           65536 kb
  coredumpsize     infinity kb
  memoryuse        infinity kb
  memorylocked     infinity kb
  maxprocesses         5547
  openfiles           22190
  sbsize           infinity bytes
  vmemoryuse       infinity kb

22190 is double the default.

When I'm running without the issue (quota = dirsize) the # of open
files is generally around 5k:

# sysctl kern.openfiles
kern.openfiles: 4910

When I change it, I can get it to go as high as I want (I then change
dovecot back to dirsize for quota)

sysctl kern.openfiles
kern.openfiles: 19906

> 2.  can you do an lsof (ls open files) and send that  (zipped!!) over so I can see what it has open?

I just tried, but being a busy time right now, doing "lsof -p [PID] >
lsof.txt" never returns before the # of open files gets maxed and the
server goes to hell. I'll have to try again at a slower time to see if
it will return- right now's about the busiest time of day on this box.

Is there anything in particular you're looking for in there? Most of
the lines are similar to the ones in the attached (small!) text file.

Thanks,
falz