[Dovecot] NFS

Richard Laager rlaager at wiktel.com
Thu Dec 7 22:39:05 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-04-26 at 13:26 +0200, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-04-25 at 17:33 +0300, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> > I've finally managed to run Dovecot without errors in two computers with
> > maildir and indexes stored in NFS. I added a page to wiki about this:
> >
> > http://wiki.dovecot.org/NFS
> >
> > Suggestions how to keep attribute cache enabled but to allow Dovecot to
> > specifically request not to use a cached value (when it's important)
> > would be welcome.
>
> Timo, you use Debian - if you have liblockfile-dev installed, the
> manpage of lockfile-create(3) has a section called "REMOTE FILE SYSTEMS
> AND THE KERNEL ATTRIBUTE CACHE".

Timo,

I swear I read somewhere that you had implemented something like this,
but I can't find it. Is it still necessary to disable the attribute
cache to put indexes in NFS?

If so, do you have any idea how much of a performance impact that is vs.
clearing the attribute cache as needed? Any idea what it would cost to
have you code this feature?

Thanks,
Richard