[Dovecot] Deliver bounces messages if can't write to logs

Francisco Reyes lists at stringsutils.com
Mon Dec 4 03:24:26 UTC 2006

Timo Sirainen writes:

> Well, yes, this fixes your particular problem. But there are also other
> rare problems which should be treated as temporary errors instead of
> permanent errors.

Ideally, as your time allows.. you should code changes you see fit.. to
avoid messages getting bounced in case of failure to write to the logs.

> Shouldn't the problem also go away if you just fix it so that deliver
> can always write to the logs?

Absolutely. The problem is trivial for a single installation, but gets
more interesting if one has to do it in many machines, other people will
have to learn the procedure and one has to worry about log rotation and the
such.

In an ideal world we would have some automated set of scripts to install and
configure Dovecot. The FreeBSD port's system does most of the work already
(we use FreeBSD) so it should not be too bad. My next concern would be log
rotation. I think we discussed on some other email.. so I will check
the archives.