[Dovecot] Marking all messages in folder as read doesn't work

John and Catherine Allen allen at vo.lu
Sun Dec 3 15:17:06 UTC 2006

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-12-03 at 10:07 +0100, John and Catherine Allen wrote:
>> I'm seeing a new behaviour with my Dovecot setup which has me puzzled.
>>
>> I have a folder with 47000 spam messages, mostly small. There are 64 unread messages. This
>> folder is not receiving new deliveries, it's part of my archive of spam.
>>
>> If I do "mark folder read", the command appears to work, but a few minutes later there are
>> still 64 unread messages. This behaviour has been consistent over many attempts in the
>> past week.
>
> You could check if the change ever even happened:
>
> ls ~/Maildir/.spam/cur/|grep -v '.*:2,.*S'
>
> (ie. if filename contains S it's seen)

Timo

The unread messages are not changed, they do not have the S flag in the filename.

> If it shows that the files have never changed, you could check with
> strace what happens:
>
> strace -p <imap process pid> 2>log
> grep rename log

There is no sign of a rename in the strace log.

The only interesting lines in the log look like this:
stat64("/home/allen/Maildir/.Spam-2006-2/cur", {st_mode=S_IFDIR|0700, st_size=24
78080, ...}) = 0
stat64("/home/allen/Maildir/.Spam-2006-2/new", {st_mode=S_IFDIR|0700, st_size=81
92, ...}) = 0

> My only guess is that the imap process doesn't have permissions to
> rename the files.
This seems plausible. I'll have another look at the permissions.

There is also something odd in the Dovecot syslog messages:
Dec  3 10:08:19 [dovecot] IMAP(allen): Corrupted index cache file
/home/allen/Maildir/.Spam-2006-
2/dovecot.index.cache: field header names corrupted

I also see that in fact there is no file "dovecot.index.cache" for this folder.

> BTW. Please don't create new threads by replying to existing messages.
> It screws up threading since your message then contains In-Reply-To
> header.
Sorry about this. I had forgotten...

John

--