[Dovecot] dovecot-1.0_rc7 crashes (Login process died too early) with repeated deletes from thunderbird

Fri Aug 25 19:54:09 EEST 2006

The dovecot server crash is a real bug that I can confirm, but not the
same as the KMail bug.

Here is what I see in my log about 15 minutes after a crash with pissed
customers calling:

dovecot: Aug 25 07:07:03 Error: login: tried to change state 2 -> 2 (if
you can't login at all, see src/lib/fdpass.c)
dovecot: Aug 25 07:16:50 Error: login: tried to change state 2 -> 2 (if
you can't login at all, see src/lib/fdpass.c)
dovecot: Aug 25 15:32:59 Error: imap-login: file ioloop.c: line 22
(io_add): assertion failed: (fd >= 0)
dovecot: Aug 25 15:32:59 Error: child 9903 (login) killed with signal 6
dovecot: Aug 25 15:45:19 Error: login: tried to change state 2 -> 1 (if
you can't login at all, see src/lib/fdpass.c)
dovecot: Aug 25 15:45:21 Error: Login process died too early - shutting down

Whatever the old 1.0 prereleases were before the RC's, they worked well
for us.  We have been using rc2 for a few weeks, but it spawned a huge
number of pop3-login processes over time that didn't die, and we saw imap
connectivity timeouts in Squirrelmail, Outlook, and Outlook Express.  We
then upgraded to rc6, and still saw the timeouts.  We then upgraded to
rc7, and now we are still seeing the timeouts, plus it's crashing from
time to time.

I've put this in my crontab for now:
* * * * * if [ $(psa | grep /usr/sbin/dovecot | grep -v grep | wc -l) -lt
1 ]; then /etc/init.d/dovecot restart; fi

I'll be changing the service to run under daemontools, which will restart
it within a couple seconds, soon.  But please do try to get things back to
the stability and performance level of the pre-RC 1.0 releases before
putting out yet another broken RC.  This is getting ridiculous.

What is the "best" 1.0 prerelease, as far as stability and lack of
timeouts goes?  I would like to roll back to that without all the
guesswork.

On Thu, August 24, 2006 3:27 pm, Jim Horner wrote:
> I had the exact problem yesterday. I am using the exact same namespace. I
> just
> figured it was my email client, KMail, and my solution was to delete 10
> mails
> at a time... I wanted to delete 142 emails at once, I highlighted all of
> them, shift-delete and was not able to complete the delete action... KMail
> crashed, if I remember correctly so I did not check the syslog of the
> server.

That's actually a KMail bug in the latest release.  It's not there in
3.5.3 if you wish to downgrade.

Cheers,
--
Casey Allen Shobe