[Dovecot] RC7: its issues or mine?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Aug 21 23:37:40 EEST 2006

On Mon, 2006-08-21 at 15:58 +0100, David Lee wrote:
> 2. We have some Pine usage in our UNIX cluster.  Historically this has
> taken advantage of the Pine "rsh mailmachine /etc/rimapd" ability to avoid
> the need for the password: pre-authentication etc.  (Yes, we realise that
> 'rsh' has security issues.)  But when I try making symlink "/etc/rimapd"
> point to "/usr/dovecot/sbin/dovecot" this fails:

"dovecot --exec-mail imap" is the correct way to do this.

> 3. I was developing and testing this here at work using an account that I
> mostly use from home using Outlook Express.  I was very careful (I think!)
> only to use the read-only "examine INBOX" command (not "select INBOX").
> When I went home and tried it as usual (connecting to our production
> Washington IMAP service reading that INBOX).  But OE showed all the email
> (including previously read) as "unread" (closed envelope icon).  It seems
> that dovecot has done something to the message headers (even under
> "examine") that has worried OE.  Any thoughts?

Not really.. Examine command does change the mbox headers (just as it
does with UW-IMAP), but the changes should be fully compatible with
UW-IMAP. The message is "unread" if it doesn't have "Status: R" header.
Dovecot really shouldn't be removing any of those.

http://wiki.dovecot.org/NFS