[Dovecot] dovecot tring to load sql modules

Jacek Osiecki joshua at hybrid.pl
Mon Aug 14 01:03:33 EEST 2006

On Sun, 13 Aug 2006, Axel Thimm wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 13, 2006 at 11:10:50AM +0200, Jan Kundrát wrote:
>> Dean Gibson (Mail Administrator) wrote:
>>> Aug 12 17:09:28 athlon1 dovecot: auth(default): dovecot-auth: error
>>> while loading shared libraries: libmysqlclient.so.10: cannot open shared
>>> object file: No such file or directory

>>> 1. Why do I need ANY SQL library???  I want PAM to do the authorization.

> So, where is the problem? Just don't use the mysql support. You won't

[...]

> Otherwise if dovecot has say 10 features to turn on or off you would
> end with 2^10
It does not have to be this way... Auth module could use plug-ins for each
kind of authorization - all independent from each other. Of course it needs
more efforts than writing an universal authenticator, and it is up to Timo.

However, since mysql/ldap/other libraries do not require too much space and
actually one would need them because of other hard-linked software (exim,
postfix, etc.) - I think there is no point in putting so much effort just
for creating another plug-in system...

Greetz,
--
Jacek Osiecki