[Dovecot] Dovecot under daemontools

Rick Romero rick at havokmon.com
Thu Aug 10 19:23:05 EEST 2006

On Thu, 2006-08-10 at 19:03 +0300, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-08-10 at 10:05 -0500, Rick Romero wrote:
> > I'm sure you're just kidding, but I kinda have to agree here.  There are
> > some improvements that could be made in the system.
> >
> > 1. The whole *BSD poll/kqueue issue.  From what configure says, kqueue
> > shouldn't ever show up.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by this.

Just to restate myself - I'm really loving dovecot, it just flies :)

Well the way I read configure --help is this:

--with-ioloop=IOLOOP    Specify the I/O loop method to use
                          (epoll, kqueue, poll; best for the fastest
			available;
	                   default is poll)
  --with-notify=IOLOOP    Specify the file system notification method to
			 use
                          (dnotify, inotify, kqueue, none;
                           default dnotify if compilable, otherwise
			 none)

If I don't specify anything, I should get 'poll' and 'dnotify' - if
FreeBSD supports it - or 'none', respectively.
On my FreeBSD box, I get kqueue and kqueue.

I don't know or understand what the differences are - but it seems to me
if configure followed what was documented, there wouldn't be these
kqueue issues on BSD.   Changing configure to work as documented, would
essentially fix that issue.

> > 2. POP?  It gets compiled in automatically, yet doesn't start.  Doesn't
> > bother me, as I'm just using IMAP, but it doesn't seem logical.  If POP
> > doesn't start by default, I wouldn't think it would be compiled in by
> > default.
>
> Well, I think compiling and using by default are different things.
> Compiling everything by default doesn't really hurt anything, but using
> all of them by default does.

The only reason I suggested selective compiling is to help with the
config file.  It has so much to it, if you were able to reduce the
'unnecessary' bits based on the configure line, it wouldn't be so
overwhelming.  Look at the last post where the user had about 12 'real'
lines to his config file.   My modified one (comments and extra stuff
left in there) is 1000 lines.  I bet for a 'vpopmail/maildir' setup, it
could be under 100 and still be descriptive.

> I can't really think of how this could be improved. I think no matter
> what change I do people will start complaining.

I agree :)

> > 3. Config file.  It flows well, but it's freaking huge.
>
> Yea. For v2.0 I'm planning on splitting it up. I already once did such a
> split and asked people's suggestions about that (IIRC).

I think anyone who already has it setup shouldn't care too much, it
would only affect people who haven't had to figure it out yet.

> > 3a Quotas.  Where are you told that to enable imap quotas, you need to
> > say:  mail_plugins = quota imap_quota
> > Maybe I missed it, but I modified horde to manually get the quotas
> > because I couldn't find or figure out how enable it in dovecot.
>
> I'm hoping to get http://wiki.dovecot.org/NewIndex into a usable state
> some day and it should hopefully be easy enough to install Dovecot into
> a fully usable state. :)
>
> Anyway there already is wiki -> Quota page.

Ahh I see now.  I think I skipped 'Quota' and just read Quota/Maildir
assuming that would be more 'accurate' instead of just 'specific'.

> > > Sorry, one more .... courier-imap is easier to configure, no?
> >
> > Yes on FreeBSD, you have IMAP/POP and SSL config files.
>
> I think SSL certificates are generated by most Dovecot binary packages,
> so this is a FreeBSD port-issue I think..

Actually, I compiled from source.  I was inferring that courier was
easier to configure because the config files were split up.  :)

Rick