[Dovecot] RC6 startup failure: "Login prcess died too early"

S JList sjlist at heidelberg.edu
Mon Aug 7 17:25:52 EEST 2006

Greetings.

I have been running Dovecot-1.0rc2 on a test server for the last couple
of weeks.  No problems.  However, when I installed RC6 this morning,
Dovecot refused to launch completely.  Here's the relevant snippet from
/var/log/maillog:

Aug  7 10:08:36 mercury dovecot: Dovecot v1.0.rc6 starting up
Aug  7 10:08:37 mercury dovecot: Login process died too early - shutting
down
Aug  7 10:08:37 mercury dovecot: child 26127 (login) killed with signal 11
Aug  7 10:08:37 mercury dovecot: child 26128 (login) killed with signal 11

Both RC2 and RC6 compiled cleanly with "--with-pop3d".  For reasons
beyond my control, I have to set

protocols disable_plaintext_auth ssl_disable
I do have a valid /etc/pam.d/dovecot file (we're using PAM).  I made
certain that the localized settings for /usr/local/etc/dovecot.conf
matched what they were in RC2 for RC6.  (I did use the RC6
dovecot-example.conf as source for RC6, then made the local changes.  I
also tried testing RC6 with my old RC2 config file--same failure).

So, RC2 starts just fine.  RC6 fails to start with the messages logged
above.  Can anyone give me any pointers?  RHEL (Linux Kernel
2.6.9-34.0.2.ELsmp), built from source, nothing out-of-the-ordinary.
Right now, I've reverted back to RC2.

TIA.
S JList
sjlist at heidelberg.edu