[Dovecot] Can't connect to auth server at default: Connection refused

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Sep 27 22:34:24 EEST 2005

On Tue, 2005-09-27 at 17:30 +0100, Chris Wakelin wrote:
> We've been getting more authentication problems today. This lunchtime I
> put in a version of 1.0-stable, including Timo's fix below, which may
> have helped, but still we've had, e.g:
>
> dovecot: Sep 27 16:04:27 Warning: auth(default): Login process has too
> old (126s) requests, killing it.
> dovecot: Sep 27 16:04:27 Error: auth(default): file mech.c: line 117
> (auth_request_destroy): assertion failed: (request->refcount > 0)
> dovecot: Sep 27 16:04:27 Error: child 21726 (auth) killed with signal 6
> dovecot: Sep 27 16:04:27 Error: imap-login: Can't connect to auth server
> at default21726: Connection refused

dovecot-auth crashes and gets restarted, that's why these connection
errors happen.

The crashing most likely happens because passdb (or maybe userdb?)
lookup hangs long enough to cause Dovecot timeout the results, and the
code in 1.0-stable doesn't handle that well.

I looked into these crashes last weekend but looks like they don't exist
in 1.0-alphas anymore so I didn't do anything about them to 1.0-stable
either.. Anyway, the overly long lookup times are the real problem
you're having.