[Dovecot] virtual domain

Barry Kwok barrykwok at spymac.com
Tue Sep 27 12:42:58 EEST 2005

>On Tue, 2005-09-27 at 13:29 +0800, Barry Kwok wrote:
>>   userdb static {
>>     args = uid=503 gid=503 mail=mbox:/var/spool/virtual/%d/%n
>>   }
>
>Drop the "mail" part from here. You already have it in default_mail_env,
>and it's correct there. Here you're saying that the .../%d/%n is the
>mail directory, not file. If it refuses to start up without the mail=
>part, replace it with home=/tmp instead.
>
>> Why I need a IMAP folder in a POP3 only server
>
>Dovecot is mostly an IMAP server, POP3 was just an afterthought.
>
>> and can I change that folder to /tmp directory.
>
>Yes, as long as nothing actually gets written there (and with
>INDEX=MEMORY and POP3 nothing should get written there).

Thank you Timo, I have just tried. But I found that I must add the mail=mbox:/var/spool/virtual/%d/%n part. Without this part, the dovecot seems not checking the right location of mail spool and simply say that "no new email". Now I added this part together with  "home=/tmp" part into userdb config and It works now with IMAP folder in /tmp directory.
But I want to ask if there is any file locking problem as I am running virtual email with vmail as owner for all mbox accounts.
And it seems that they are all share the same IMAP folder located in /tmp directory.