[Dovecot] An alternate "dovecot-auth" daemon using cyrus-sasl

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun Sep 11 14:39:44 EEST 2005

On Mon, 2005-09-05 at 15:48 +0400, buc wrote:
>   The patch against 1.0.alpha1 is
> here: http://dmitry.butskoy.name/dovecot/dovecot-1.0.alpha1-cyrus.tar.gz .
>   To be more readable, it is not a flat patch (due to a lot of whole
> files add/remove). It is a tarball with 3 files: a list of files to
> initial copy from auth/ to auth-cyrus/, a patch for resulting tree, and
> a script which automates this steps (:-)). (The script should be run in
> the root of the main source, i.e. a dir with src/ and doc/ subdirs).
>
>  I already have successfully tested this patch with PLAIN method.
> However before testing of other methods, it would be desirable that
> somebody have looked at it.
>
>   Whether someone could check up my patch (just fluently having read),
> at least for obvious bugs and typos?

Didn't see anything obviously wrong there.

In general I wouldn't mind having a standalone cyrus-sasl auth daemon
that's compatible with dovecot-auth, but it'd have to be standalone
instead of being distributed with Dovecot itself.

A lot more code could be removed from dovecot-auth besides what you
already did. Probably better idea would be to just build a new one from
scratch..

Also one thing that could be a problem is that Cyrus SASL's calls are
blocking, so either you should be running many dovecot-cyrus-auth
processes (I'm not sure how well that works nowadays), or you could
change the code to use auth-worker processes where the Cyrus code is run
the way dovecot-auth now does with MySQL.